I found this one on Cooking Con Claudia’s YouTube channel. You’ll likely be seeing her channel mentioned several times, as I really like her recipes. The recipe is slightly modified from her video How To Make A Refreshing Cucumber Water With Lime.
For those unfamiliar with Agua Fresca, think of it like lemonade but with other fruits. You mix the fruit juice(s) with water to get a refreshing drink.
What You Need
- 4 cucumbers
- ⅓ cup fresh squeezed lime juice (takes 3-4 limes)
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ¾ cup + 2½ cups + 2½ cups water
- Small pot
- Nut milk bags -OR- fine mesh strainer
- Pitcher or container for storage
How to Make It
- In the pot, mix the ¾ cup water and sugar and stir frequently until simmering. Simmer for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally, then remove from heat and allow to cool for at least 20 minutes.
NOTE: The original recipe calls for ¾ cup sugar, but I find that far too sweet. However, if you have a sweet tooth, you may want to increase the sugar.
- For each cucumber, cut off an end, then immediately rub it against the cut portion of the cucumber (see video). This helps reduce the bitterness of the cucumber. It’s a real thing, you can Google it. Do this for both ends of all four cucumbers, then peel and cut them into pieces your blender can handle.
- Add the cut pieces to the blender with the first 2½ cups of water. Blend until smooth (Claudia suggests 5 minutes).
- Strain the blended cucumbers, then rinse the blender with the remaining 2½ cups of water and strain that as well. I’ve tried both the strainer method and the nut milk bag method, and the bag method is much quicker and less messy, but requires two people.
Bag Method: Holding the bag over a container with a wide mouth, pour the cucumber mix into the bag and twist/squeeze tightly to completely strain the liquid. Reserve the pulp for whatever you’d like, or throw it away, then strain the second half.
Strainer Method: Resting the strainer on your pitcher or container, slowly pour in the cucumber mix and use a silicone spatula to move the mixture around while it strains. Don’t push on the mixture, as it will cause the pulp to squeeze through. Strain the second half the same way, then strain the entire mixture a second time to ensure all pulp is removed.
- Add the sugar mixture and lime juice and mix well. Serve over ice or let chill in the refrigerator before serving.