I hope you’ve enjoyed this series. If you were unable to purchase the Inkvent Calendar, then I hope this settled your mind about experiencing the colors. I can only assume that the 2021 colors will eventually be released individually, so hopefully this series helped you decide which ones to get.
Comparing the Two Inkvent Calendars
I definitely preferred this year’s calendar to 2019’s. There were actually some unique inks, including some I had to make custom mixes for, rather than a bunch that were practically rebottled versions of standard colors. However, I still feel like Diamine could do better. It shouldn’t be possible to dupe a color in the Inkvent Calendar with a Diamine Ink. That means the colors aren’t “new ink colors that can’t be found anywhere else in Diamine’s existing ranges.” But, I have to at least give Diamine credit for the improvements, especially the additional of multishaders.
I’ve seen some people complain about a lack of variety in this year’s Inkvent Calendar in comparison to 2019’s, so here they are side-by-side. I also went through and actually “ran the numbers” — see the table below.
|Color or Property||2019||2021|
|Shimmer & Sheen||3||4|
|Yellow / Gold||1||2|
|Teal / Turquoise||2||4|
|Gray / Black||2||1|
While I can’t really say that this year’s had less variety, I do think it’s interesting that there wasn’t a single green ink. Diamine could have put in 2 greens and only 4 blues. And maybe 1 teal, 1 turquoise, and 3 reds. More interesting to me is the change in distribution of the “special” inks. They cut the sheening inks by ⅔ and put in half again as many shimmers. I wonder if any of these changes were based on sales of the full-sized bottles of the 2019 inks.
Below, you’ll find an easy reference so you don’t have to click through 25 separate blog posts to find the Inkvent dupe names. I only list the ink that I feel is the best overall dupe. If you want to see the comparison swabs or the other dupe options, you can click through to the corresponding post.
- Seize the Night – Custom Mix
- Garland – Organics Studio Walden Pond
- Ash – Caran d’Ache Infinite Grey
- Tempest – Robert Oster Thunderstorm
- Harmony – Robert Oster Violet Dreams
- Winter Spice – Robert Oster Aussie Brown
- Candle Light – Rising Reflections
- Raspberry Rose – Custom Mix
- Storm – Caran d’Ache Magnetic Blue
- Peach Punch – Custom Mix
- Party Time – Kobe 41 Suma Rikyu Rose
- Stargazer – Taccia Dark Wash Jeans
- Ruby Blues – Diamine Skull and Roses
- Red Robin – DeAtramentis Oriental Red
- Night Shade – Sailor Ink Studio 343
- Vintage Copper – Monteverde Fire Opal
- Thunderbolt – Monteverde DC Supershow Blue
- Diamine Subzero – Diamine Aqua Lagoon
- Festive Joy – Custom Mix
- Pink Ice – Custom Mix
- Brandy Snap – Ferris Wheel Press Autumn in Auburn
- Black Ivy – Lamy Petrol
- Wonderland – Diamine Marigold
- Yuletide – Colorverse Gravity Wave
- All the Best – Colorverse Andromeda
Other Dupes Suggestions
During the course of this series, I both had other possible Ink Dupes suggested, and found a few possibilities online. I’m providing them here for you to test out. Keep in mind, I haven’t compared them to the Inkvent inks, so I don’t know how accurate these are.
If you have a dupe suggestion, let me know so I can add it to this list.
- Seize the Night – No additional dupes
- Garland – No additional dupes
- Ash – No additional dupes
- Tempest – No additional dupes
- Harmony – No additional dupes
- Winter Spice – No additional dupes
- Candle Light – Diamine Honeyburst
- Raspberry Rose – Ferris Wheel Press Royal Rhubarb and Noodler’s Black Swan in Australian Roses
- Storm – No additional dupes
- Peach Punch – No additional dupes
- Party Time – Birmingham Pens Psychedelic Magenta
- Stargazer – No additional dupes
- Ruby Blues – No additional dupes
- Red Robin – Diamine Monaco Red
- Night Shade – Birmingham Pens California Raisin
- Vintage Copper – No additional dupes
- Thunderbolt – Organics Studio Bert’s Blue
- Diamine Subzero – No additional dupes
- Festive Joy – No additional dupes
- Pink Ice – Birmingham Pens Teaberry Ice Cream and Sweetberry
- Brandy Snap – Papier Plume Caramel
- Black Ivy – No additional dupes
- Wonderland – No additional dupes
- Yuletide – Sailor Yama Dori
- All the Best – No additional dupes
While I bought, or already had, most of the dupe possibilities, some were gifted to me by generous friends in the DC Metro Pen Crew. Thanks to everyone who helped out.
And thanks to you, for joining me on this 25 Days of Dupes journey.